- Trip Overview
- Cost Include & Excude
Have you ever wanted to have a profound authentic cultural experience while trekking in a remote area of the Himalayas? Join this incredible one-off opportunity of volunteering in a very easy way of teaching Basic English in remote villages that’s combined with a wonderful trek.
You do not need to be a professional teacher as you will be providing supplementary English practice. It’s to help enhance the quality of language skills of village young people who part of the time work as trekking porters, guides and cooks during the trekking season. At other times they work with their families in the village farms and animal pastures. You will enjoy this time.
The area we have chosen is the Lower Everest region of Solukhumbu district. These villages of the eastern hills of Nepal supply many Sherpa and Tamang peoples for trekking and climbing trips. They are rarely visited by tourists and offer a genuine cultural experience. Terrain is not very steep and requires moderate fitness. The area is connected by road to Kathmandu and there is the option to fly to nearby town. Accommodation is in local teahouses and with locals in village homestays.
The goal of this teaching and trekking (TT) program is for you as a TT Voluntourist to experience Nepal’s mountain life and also support trekking and climbing staff who do not have time or resources to go all the way to cities to study English. All of them already know some English so all you will be doing is help enhance what they already know.
The trekking package is two weeks of which 6 days are for trekking and 5 days are staying in a village.
We are seeking a maximum of 5 TT Voluntourists, one for each of the 5 villages in the region. We ask that each TT Voluntourist offers at least three hours teaching each day in their village. That allows plenty of time to explore and contribute to village life. Teaching materials will be provided.
We will provide further details upon request. Here is a short draft itinerary
Day 01 Kathmandu to Taping (Fly and one hour drive or 10 hours jeep ride)
Days02-06 Stay with local family home and teach everyday maximum 3 hours (1 and half hour each session)
Day 07 meet with guide and trek to Bhulbhule. Lower Everest trek begins
Day 08 Trek to Pikey Peak base camp
Day 09 Climb Pikey Peak and trek to Jasmane
Day 10 Trek to Junbesi
Day 11 Trek to Phaplu
Day 12 Fly out to Kathmandu or drive out (11 hour by jeep)
Day 13 Return home or plan other trips!
Costs : $ 750 by jeep transport $ 900 by flight to Phaplu
Trip Cost Includes
- Kathmandu hotel as per itinerary breakfast and taxes
- One welcome meal
- National Park Entry fee, Local Municipal Entry Fee
- Kathmandu – Lukla – Kathmandu flight fare of you and guide
- Lukla to Lukla trekking period : Breakfast, lunch, dinner and tea or coffee at the time of meal
- One tea break in a day tea or coffee, drinking water boiled or treated
- Accommodation: single or double room in local home lodges
- Porter to carry luggage, extra bag
- Guide entire trip from Kathmandu back to Kathamndu
- Insurance, equipment, bonus, wages for staff
- Airport pick up and drop
Trip Cost Doesn’t Include
- Hotel change or upgrade if applicable in Kathmandu
- Lodge, hotel upgrade to private bathroom type during the trek
- Extra porter if required for specific purpose
- Additional day trek charge in the case of itinerary change or dates added
- Your travel, rescue, medical insurances.
- Meals in Kathmandu except hotel breakfast and welcome meal
- Bottled drinking water, and beverages other than tea / coffee during meals
- Hot shower
- Special meals other than mentioned on printed menu, special desert
- Any meals taken outside the lodge stayed
- Personal expenses such as shopping, tipping, donation, offering, etc
- Anything that’s not mentioned under the cost includes section above